Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Crazy couple of days but a fantastic last week

My last week in the Ana Verde couldn't have been any better.  I have grown to love that ward more than I thought possible.  Heavenly Father knew that the only place that could help me adjust as quickly as I did was in Palmdale.  Elder Burke and I had some amazing lessons that just kept me smiling the whole week.  One investigator named Terry has been doing everything it takes to be baptized except read the Book of Mormon consistently... so we have been really following up a lot with that the last couple visits.  Well, we went by this very last time and asked how his reading has been going since last week.  He said he hadn't read that day so in my mind I was thinking... dang... he still isn't doing it.... so we asked what he has been reading and found out that he read all the way to Alma in less than a week!!!! His soon to be wife said she would go in the other room to check on him every once in while and he would just be glued to it!  The Book of Mormon will convert anyone to the Gospel of Jesus Christ if they will sit down read it... and follow the promptings that they get from it.

So we were just about to start a lesson with Tray when I got a text from President Wilson that said call me ASAP.  Tray was busy texting my mom about meeting up in Salt Lake anyways so I figured I would go give him a quick call.  Well, no offense to President Wilson, but he must have bonked his head or something because he asked me if I would be one of his assistants.  The first words out of my mouth were, "oh boy" haha.  I am so excited to work more closely with President Wilson and the missionaries.  I have a lot of responsibility and I can feel the weight on my shoulders... but good thing Christ promises us that he will lift our burdens. Mathew 11: 28-30.

 28 ¶Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I love this scripture.  It has helped me several times throughout my mission.

My last Sunday in church was bitter sweet.  All of the investigators I have been working closely with were at church... and a new investigator named Victor from Romania even showed up!  There was a talk given in sacrament that really touched me. The sister shared her conversion story and made me appreciate being raised in the church.  It was perfect for all of my investigators to hear.  She explained so beautifully the happiness she has found in the gospel and the fear and sadness without it. 

As soon as church ended Elder Hyde and Elder Haubner... the East Side Assistants picked me up to drive to bakersfield.  I was able to say goodbye to the whole ward and get pictures with most of them right before they dragged me into the van.  

Ever since then I have been in constant motion it feels like. Picking missionaries up from the airport dropping them off, pretending like I know what's going on and just having the biggest smile possible. haha  I realized at transfer meeting that I really only know the missionaries that served in Palmdale... so I've got a whole mission that I need to start memorizing haha! My fingers are crossed that we will be able to get out and proselyte before the end of the day.  I am serving in the same ward that I came into when I came from Sierra Leone.  I remember thinking "ah dang... I wish I could have gotten to know this ward better."  Well, now is my chance! haha

Elder Duckworth went home this morning.  He was my first Zone leader in Palmdale along with Elder Matheny (who is my new companion right now).  We pretty much stayed up packing his stuff and wrestled over a tie that we have constantly been stealing from each other back and forth for the past 7 months.  I really look up to him.  I hope that by the end of my mission I will have worked as hard as he did and be as close to Heavenly Father as he is.  He is one of my mission heros for sure. I hope he has a sweet reunion with his Fambo!

I love you all and appreciate all the love I receive from you!

Love Elder Crandall the Vandal

P.S.  I will try and send some pictures later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment